Thursday, September 22, 2016

Baked Oatmeal

This. was. SO. good! Seriously! I love baked oatmeal! Never again will I buy those packets of instant oatmeal. This was so much better! I found melskitchencafe.com when I was browsing something about homemade bread, so then I looked around and found some recipes to try. The first thing that I wanted to try was this baked oatmeal. I LOVE breakfast foods and this recipe seemed easy enough. I actually used the recipe that someone posted in a comment (comment #24 by Kristy) since the recipe in the post calls for oil. I didn't want to add oil to it, so that's why I tried the other recipe. :) I love what Mel said in the beginning of the post: "More like an oatmeal “cake,” this breakfast dish is wholesome (yes, I consider large amounts of brown sugar wholesome)..." Haha! She mentioned that her favorite way to eat it is with fresh strawberries and milk. I would have to agree!


Ingredients:
2 cups oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. butter

Directions:
Combine ingredients and bake in an 8×8 pan at 350 for 20 minutes.

Here are the rest of the directions that were posted in the comment: I’ve also had great success substituting the applesauce for the same amount of mashed banana. It just gives variety to the flavor. I usually sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, too.


As you can see from the pictures, I put cinnamon on top. I also doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9x13 casserole dish. Just add milk and strawberries and you have a delicious breakfast! And just as Mel said in her post, "You can add fruit to the batter before baking or lay it on after, you can douse your portion of baked oatmeal in milk and slurp it up with a spoon, or you can skip the milk and eat it with a fork. Any way you try it, it is sure to please." :)

I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...