Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sweet Apple Crisp

I thought I would make a new dessert recipe last week. It's somewhat healthy too! We had apples that needed to be used, so I went through my cookbooks to see if there was a recipe that uses apples that looked like it would be good. I came across the Sweet Apple Crisp recipe in the Cooking for Two cookbook, so I decided to try it! Now, the reason why I didn't post the recipe last week was because it really needed some tweaking, so I actually made it twice in just a couple of days (but it used up all of the apples we had, so that was good!). :)

Sweet Apple Crisp
3 medium apples
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Wash, core, and slice apples. Spread in small baking pan. Drizzle syrup over apples. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Toss evenly over apples. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.


I usually don't like crisps or cobblers, so it didn't surprise me that I wasn't a fan of this. The main reason was because it was too salty! I actually doubled the recipe both times I made it. The first time I used 6 apples and used a 9x13 casserole dish, and I doubled all the rest of the ingredients exactly. The second time I only used 5 apples (because that was all we had left) and I put it in a smaller casserole dish (7x11, I believe), and I changed some of the amounts of the ingredients (see below). I think it turned out a lot better using a smaller casserole dish, but if you do use a 9x13 dish, I suggest use more than 6 apples so that the bottom of the pan is completely filled (maybe 7 or 8 apples, and I actually quadrupled the topping for the 9x13 dish).

Here are the changes I made the 2nd time (doubling it):
5 medium apples (for a 7x13 casserole dish)
1/2 cup maple syrup
6 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. cinnamon (quadruple this so it has more cinnamon taste!)
2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt (single this for a double recipe. It was still a little too salty for my liking, so use even less if you want.)
1/2 tsp. sugar (I added this ingredient just to make the topping a little more sweet, but you can use more sugar, maybe 1 or 2 tsp.)

The first time I made it, I decided to soften the butter a little bit. The second time I made it, I just put the butter in straight from the fridge. It turned out a lot better the second time, so do NOT soften or melt the butter! Just put it in with the dry ingredients and mix it till you don't have big chunks of butter. It will take a while, but it will work! I mixed it with a fork so I could 'shave' the butter into thin slices and then eventually it all got mixed together so you couldn't see the butter anymore.

I actually thought it was really good the second time we made it, which is a little surprising since, like I said, I'm not a big fan of crisps and cobblers. It's really good if you have it with French Vanilla ice cream, or you can use whipped topping! It's a really yummy dessert! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...