Friday, March 6, 2015

Hamburger Gravy

I remember when I was younger, my mom would often make rice and gravy for dinner. It's been quite a long time since I've had rice and gravy, so I found a recipe for hamburger gravy and decided to try it! My mom made her gravy from scratch and I have since gotten the recipe from her. This recipe I tried is very similar to how my mom always made it (except she used packets of brown gravy mix or beef bouillon cubes for the extra flavor).


Ingredients
1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (I just used 1 pound)
2 Tbsp. and 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
2-2/3 cups milk (I think I just used 2 cups of milk so it wouldn't be so runny)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 teaspoon onion salt (I used onion powder)
2/3 small onion, chopped (optional) (I didn't use onion)

Directions
(The recipe above is scaled to 4 servings, but the original recipe here is scaled to 6 servings. The directions below still refer to the original recipe of 6 servings.)

1. Place hamburger in a large, deep skillet. Crumble and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove from heat and sprinkle flour over cooked hamburger. Stir until evenly coated and all fat is absorbed.

2. Place skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 of milk and stir until gravy begins to thicken. Add remaining milk until desired consistency has been reached and gravy comes to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and onion salt.

3. Serve over mashed or boiled potatoes, toast or biscuits. Add fresh chopped onion if desired.


Ryan and I had it over rice. I'm not sure why the recipe doesn't have rice as one of the options. It's delicious and reminded me of my childhood when my mom would make rice and gravy. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...