Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spinach Strawberry Salad with Dressing

I've been trying to eat more fruit and veggies in my diet, so when I saw this salad, I thought it would be good to make! I've always loved green salads like this that have fruit in them, whether it be strawberries, grapes, cranberries, or whatever! I've been wanting to make a veggie-fruit salad, so I had to try this recipe! I found the recipe here. I made this for a family get-together with my family and they all loved it! The whole bowl was pretty much all gone by the time we were finished with dinner. This salad is so good that everyone got seconds. :)


Ingredients:
Spinach (torn into bite sized pieces)
Strawberries (sliced)
Feta Cheese
Sugar Slivered (or Sliced) Almonds**
The perfect dressing**

** = recipes down below


Sugar Slivered/Sliced Almonds:
Heat a frying pan. Add about 3/4 cup almonds and toast them. You don't need to add any oil since almonds have their own oil. Stir every 10-15 seconds so they don't burn. Once they start to toast, they will toast very quickly, so keep watching them! Once toasted, add sugar mixture:

1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. of nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt

(Have the sugar mixture ready to go before you start toasting the almonds.)

Stir. And stir, and stir, and stir some more! (Go here to see pictures of what the almonds should look like.) Pour mixture on wax paper and spread it out. Let it cool. Break into little pieces and sprinkle on the salad.


Dressing:
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. minced red onion

Add all ingredients into a blender and blend. The dressing will be thick, so it's best to use a spoon to drizzle it onto your salad rather than pouring it on.


I highly recommend this salad to anyone! It's a nice touch to any meal. :) Plus you add lots of fruit! Along with the strawberries, you can also add mandarin oranges (pictured above), dried cranberries, or any other fruit you like! I'm sure pineapple would taste good with it. :) ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

If anyone is apprehensive about the dressing of this recipe, take it from me that it was delishous!

I used to only eat ranch dressing on salads, but this dressing with balsomic vinegar tasted just as good! Plus, I think it's lower in fat than ranch.

Try it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...