Monday, December 5, 2016

Chicken Chowder

I got this recipe from Ryan's sister, Julene, a couple of years ago but never made it until now. It's delicious! I love a nice hot bowl of soup on cold days, so since winter is right around the corner, I thought I'd post this recipe. :)


Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts cooked and chopped into bite size pieces (or about 8 chicken tenderloins)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped potatoes
1 carrot chopped

Simmer vegetables in 4 cups chicken broth for 15-20 minutes.

Make white sauce while vegetables are simmering (combine the following ingredients in a large pot):
3/4 cup margarine (I used butter)
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 quart milk

Add vegetables with broth to white sauce, stir in chicken. Simmer 20-30 min. Thickens as it cools.


The directions weren't very specific, so I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing since it was my first time making it. Haha! I used chicken granules with water for the chicken broth, but you could use canned chicken broth. I boiled the broth first, then added the vegetables and turned it down to medium heat. Putting the white sauce together took a little while, so I think I actually had the vegetables simmering for 30-40 minutes. It still turned out great, though. One more thing... since the chicken granules have a lot of sodium, I omitted the salt from the white sauce. It's a delicious, creamy soup! I love it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...