Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pineapple Salsa Chicken

Guess where this recipe came from? If you guessed Mel's Kitchen Cafe, you are right! I LOVE that site! I've made five recipes so far from the site and none of them have disappointed me (us)! Ryan and I are still trying to eat healthy but also cheap now that we're starting to pay back his school loans. This is a great recipe that only uses four ingredients! The most expensive thing is the chicken, but it makes enough for three or four meals for the two of us, so it ends up being cheap! Hooray!


Ingredients:
6 fresh or frozen chicken breasts
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups mild or medium salsa

Directions:

Place the chicken in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Using tongs, remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred into bite-size pieces. Mix the chicken back in with the rest of the ingredients. The mixture will be fairly soupy – I like to drain off some of the excess liquid before serving, especially if we are eating it in tortillas, so it doesn’t make everything soggy. Serve with tortilla chips and garnishes, like tomatoes, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.


I didn't have crushed pineapple, so I used what we had which was pineapple tidbits. It worked out just fine. I also just cooked mine for 5 hours. Our crockpot cooks things really fast, so I checked it after 5 hours and it was done. We had ours on top of quinoa, and it was delicious! You could also put it on top of brown rice. We didn't add any of the listed garnishes on top, like tomatoes and cheese, but I'm sure it would taste even better with those things! I used two cans of black beans instead of one can of black beans and one can of great northern beans (that's what Mel used), but you can make yours however you want to. Next time, I'd probably add some herbs and spices to it, but other than that, it was great!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...