Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ryan and I went out to eat at Brick Oven one day, and I got a bowl of their broccoli cheese soup. Ryan mentioned that his Grandma Adams used to make broccoli cheese soup quite often. I had him taste the soup to see if it tasted about the same as his grandma's soup, and he said it was really similar! I absolutely LOVE broccoli cheese soup, so I wanted to get the recipe from his grandma. After she sent me the recipe, I made it and it turned out SOOOOO good! This is a great recipe, especially during the winter when it's so cold outside! Mmmmm!


Bring to a boil:
4 qts. water
12 chicken bouillon cubes

Add 1 or 2 heads of broccoli (3 pkgs. frozen) cut into bite size pieces. Cook until tender. (See picture above.) Melt 3 sticks margarine. Take off heat and slowly stir in 1 1/2 cups flour. Add this mixture to liquid and broccoli and stir until smooth and thickened. Add 16 oz. jar cheese whiz. Heat until melted.

Sliced carrots, cubed potatoes, onion, or celery may be added. Ryan and I have made it with carrots added (we just took some baby carrots and cut them up in small pieces), and we made it a second time with just potatoes added. Personally I like it with the carrots better than the potatoes, but you can try anything and see what you like! This recipe is for a really big pot, so I usually do 2 qts. of water and cut the recipe in half. The pan below has 3 qts. in it which made it really full! We had leftovers for a few days! Yum!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...