Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hamburger Stroganoff

I've had this recipe for a long time, but this was the first time I made it. I think I got it from some cookbook because it looked easy. Well, it WAS easy!


Brown:
1 pound hamburger
1/2 cup minced onion (1/2 cup seemed like a lot, so I only used 1/3 cup, but that was still a lot! I might only use 1/4 cup next time I make this. I'm not a big fan of onions.)

Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. flour on mixture.

Add:
1 tsp. salt
dash pepper
4 oz. can mushrooms
1 can cream of chicken soup

Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes

Add:
1 cup sour cream

Heat and serve over rice or noodles.

This recipe wasn't too specific. It didn't mention whether or not to drain the grease from the hamburger. Usually you do drain the grease, so that's what I did... but then the minced onion started to burn a little bit... so maybe you're supposed to keep some grease in so the minced onion won't burn. Also, it doesn't say whether or not to drain the liquid out of the mushrooms. I drained them, but then it seemed a little thick, so we ended up putting some water into the mixture. This is a recipe to experiement with to get it just how you like it, but it's nice and easy! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca. I have a recipe similar that has been passed down from my grandfather. Instead of using minced onions, we use a packet of onion soup mix. We also use cream of mushroom soup instead of chicken. Since you aren't a huge fan of onions, the soup mix may be just the ticket you need. It is so yummy!

Rebecca Adams said...

Oh, thanks so much Cassie! I'll have to try that next time! We do have onion soup mix that we use for another recipe (apricot chicken - it will be posted on the blog soon). I'll have to try it in the stroganoff. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...