Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lemon Bread

This was really yummy! The glaze was a bit too lemony-sweet for my liking. I would have liked it just fine without the glaze. Maybe it would taste better with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top. :)


Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, well-beaten
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Directions
Blend first 4 ingredients together. Sift dry ingredients together. Mix with egg mixture and stir in lemon extract. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. While bread is still hot, prick top all over with ice pick or fork. Pour glaze over top.

Glaze: Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Pour over bread. Remove bread from pan when bread is completely cooled.


We didn't have lemon extract but we did have lemon juice, so I looked online to see if it could be substituted. I read that you double the lemon juice when you use it to substitute it for lemon extract... so you would use 1 tsp. lemon juice. I also read that for the extra lemon juice you use, you subtract that amount from another one of the liquids in the recipe. 1/2 of a tsp. really isn't that much, but I just used a tiny bit less oil. I think it turned out ok. Also, we never did take the bread out of the pan. We just kept it in the pan and took out pieces of it when we wanted some. I think it's more like cake than bread. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...